The Situation: Selling directly to consumers has helped farmers capture more of the value chain. To do this successfully with livestock, farmers need to know where the closest and most economical slaughter facility is located. The extension publication “An Inventory of Beef Slaughter & Processing Facilities for Virginia Direct Markers of Beef” needs to be updated and expanded to include other livestock, surrounding states, and a more user friendly platform for both facility and customer.
Kohl Centre Project:
• Harvest Processing Locations for Direct Marketers: students will determine the best method for updating and expanding the information along with how to share that information with farmers.
Student led results:
• Using Market Maker to Connect Virginia Meat Producers and Processors fact sheet https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/AAEC/AAEC-86/AAEC-86.html
• Market Maker Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs1xNzPav4k
•Final Poster (click here to view)
• Once students discovered Market Maker as an online tool to accomplish their goal, they were able to meet with the founders of the program, Dar and Richard Knipe, and meet with Market Maker users in D.C. while attending the USDA Outlook Forum.
• The student team was selected to present their team work and student led approach to the President of Virginia Tech Dr. Timothy Sands at a College student team showcase.